University of Medicine and Pharmacy Tg-Mures

UMF Tg Mures

The University of Medicine and Pharmacy from Tirgu-Mures as the academic institution accessible to all Romanians and foreign offers training at a center of excellence through its mission and dedicated by name and reputation of the University.

In their own development and future scientific research and educational component have been and are dominant in the preparation of physicians, dentists, pharmacists, midwives, nurses being the pivot University, methodological and practical aspect of medical care peak in the region.

Structural and quantitative increases in all these years have been the effect of the strategies meant to maintain the balance between the four components of the institution: students, staff, space and facilities for education and research, social services and medical practice.

The medical education in Targu-Mures began in 1945 in the suborder of the Faculty of Medicine Bolyai University from Cluj. According to the 407/1945 Decree- philosophy, law, economics and natural sciences have started in Cluj, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy was moved to Targu Mures, where it functioned from1945 to 1948.

In 1948, after the reform of education, is founded Medico-Pharmaceutical Institute, an institution by itself, with the following faculties: general medicine, pediatrics, hygiene, Dental Medicine and pharmacy. Between 1951 and 1958 it had three faculties: general medicine, pediatrics and pharmacy. In 1958-1959 the faculty of paediatrics turns into a department , and from 1960-l961 the department of Dental Medicine starts working again, which is converted in a faculty during the academic year 1965-1966.

The Faculty of Pharmacy stopped its activity between 1986 and 1990. In1991 the Institute was given the name of the University of Medicine and Pharmacy.

By Order of the Minister of Education Decree 800/1965 and IMF Targu.Mures gets the title of Doctor in Medicine (7teachers are appointed leaders of doctoral scientists).

UMF Tg Mures

Currently, U.M.F. Tg.Mures activates with these faculty with long-or short-term studies:

Since 1953, besides the Medical-Pharmaceutical Institute, the Botanical Garden is founded as the foundation of education for the Faculty of Pharmacy. The structure of U.M.F. Targu-Mures includes: university library, administrative service, technical service, homes and student cafeteria, Universitas Publishing and lithography.

UMF Tg Mures

The number of employees of our university is 705, the process of education currently being provided by 396 teachers, of which:

University of Medicine and Pharmacy has a total of 20 teachers and consultants.

Academic staff, prepares over 3,000 students annually, of which about 2,700 are enrolled in Bachelor of short and long term, and nearly 400 are enrolled in graduate programs (master's, doctoral and frequency-time), plus annually between 300-500residents in training and at least as many specialists enrolled in continuing medical education courses.

Prof. dr. Dr. Constantin Copotoiu
Rector of the University of Medicine and Pharmacy Targu-Mures